Right. Well, the prompt was a bit like drinking from a fire hose, but I'll do my best to answer it in its entirety.
On the one hand, Aimé Césaire argues that it is indeed a fine thing to include all perspectives, even if it is contrary to what the author wanted. For example, instance, and goodness sake, she, in rewriting a bit of "The Tempest" in her own words, writes Prospero criticizing Ariel for having done his bidding with a disfavoring disposition: "Oh, so you're upset, are you! It's always like this with you intellectuals! Who cares! What interests me is not your moods, but your deeds." (112). Portraying Prospero as a rather irate individual who cares so little for Ariel and his/her feelings shows the reader the complete opposite viewpoint of what Shakespeare wanted. Which definitely should be done. I mean, you can't know the value of a coin without looking at both its faces. And you can't make sense without knowing what the heck you're talking about. Gosh.
In discussions of "The Tempest", the traditional view is that Prospero is a puppy-loving, rainbow-creating, flower-nurturing hero. However, one controversial issue has been the inclusion of post colonialist theory in analyzing the play. Mainly, whether or not these philosophies would help the understanding of said play. Going further into the lands of controversy, just past the town of I-don't-want-to-think-about-this-anymore-because-all-this-right/wrong-business-has-given-me-a-headache, is whether or not this point of view confuses the author's original intent, and if this original intent should even be seen in the modern world.
For one thing, Aimé Césaire argues that it is indeed a fine thing to include all perspectives, even if it is contrary to what the author wanted. For example, instance, and goodness sake, she, in rewriting a bit of "The Tempest" in her own words, writes Prospero criticizing Ariel for having done his bidding with a disfavoring disposition: "Oh, so you're upset, are you! It's always like this with you intellectuals! Who cares! What interests me is not your moods, but your deeds." (112). Portraying Prospero as a rather irate individual who cares so little for Ariel and his/her feelings shows the reader the complete opposite viewpoint of what Shakespeare wanted. Which definitely should be done. I mean, you can't know the value of a coin without looking at both its faces. And you can't make sense without knowing what the heck you're talking about. Gosh.
Likewise, Mr. Bressler contends that in such texts as "The Tempest", the theory of "alternity" is used, "whereby 'the others' are excluded from positions of power and viewed as different and inferior." (236). Now, in many cultures people considered inferior in whatever manner are usually not allowed to write books, especially in Shakespeare's era. So then, these "others" most likely wouldn't have been able to give their perspective on colonialism as Shakespeare was. Therefore, it is almost overwhelmingly necessary to read literature from as many viewpoints as possible in order to understand the human race, and all that it is/was/hopes to be when it grows up.
Therefore, taking these positions into account, we can see that most of my commentary has already been given. However, since I like you so much, I'll say it again in a different way so that you don't feel like you're reading the same thing twice. That being said, I won't cry if you do realize it. Anyways, not reading literature in the way the author intended is okay. In fact, it's good. Well, it is if you understand the author's original intent (I really do need to find another word for that) in addition to your myriad of connotations.
This really feels like it's never going to end, huh?
As for using sources in the coming essay, I feel it'd be good for my health and small children in third world countries if I stuck with the two aforementioned. I might throw in the opposition just so that I can hurt his/her feelings. I might even switch to use the opposition by itself. Well, I guess I'll just decide when I right the essay the morning of its due date.
No comments:
Post a Comment